SOUNZ Commission for Emerging Players 2018
A collaboration with SOUNZ Centre for New Zealand Music, Orchestra Wellington and Arohanui Strings.
In May 2018 Orchestra Wellington and Arohanui Strings will be giving a performance at the Walter Nash Stadium in Lower Hutt. This commission is an opportunity for a composer to create a work of 4-5 minutes featuring the combined forces of Orchestra Wellington and Arohanui Strings. The resulting work will need to have separate parts at an appropriate level for Arohanui Strings, and be suitable for a concert that will include popular songs, arias and overtures.
Call for proposals Proposals for the commission from New Zealand composers should be emailed to email@example.com by 9am Friday 8 December 2017. All applications will be forwarded to a panel facilitated by SOUNZ, and the succesful proposal will be announced on Monday 18 December 2017.
- The work should be 4-5 minutes in length
- The available instrumentation for Orchestra Wellington is: 2.2.2*.2/188.8.131.52/T+2.Kit.Bass.Keyboard.Guitar.Sax/184.108.40.206.2
- Arohanui Strings is a full string orchestra (violin 1 & 2, viola, cello, bass) which follows the Sistema initiative. The actual numbers for each section are unspecified
- Arohanui Strings parts should be up to grade 3-4 level
- The composer must liaise with Arohanui Strings to establish an appropriate level
- The deadline for the score and parts is 9am on Monday 19 March 2018
- The performance will be on Friday 18 May 2018, at the Walter Nash Stadium, Lower Hutt
The composer will receive a commission fee of $2,000 and this will be split into two payments of $1,000 each – the first of which will be paid upon the awarding of the commission, and the final payment of $1,000 will be paid upon successful completion of the commission and delivery of all scores and parts by the due date.
The below form must be accompanied with your application, which should include:
- a biography and CV of the composer
- a proposal for the commission, including an indication of how the composer intends to create a work which integrates the forces of Orchestra Wellington and Arohanui Strings
- an outline of how the composer will work with Arohanui Strings to compose a work which is at an appropriate level for the string orchestra, and which will integrate with Orchestra Wellington.
Composers are welcome to contact SOUNZ for further information in relation to this project at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the submission form HERE.
December 8, 2017 9:00AM