A collaboration between Westlake Symphony Orchestra and SOUNZ Centre for New Zealand Music
The Westlake Symphony Orchestra is an accomplished school orchestra conducted by David Squire. The aim of this project is to encourage New Zealand composers at all career stages to have high quality works available for non-professional orchestras. By making these works available through SOUNZ Online orchestras will be able to watch and listen to repertoire they can programme and perform. The selected works will be recorded and filmed later in 2018 by SOUNZ, and one work may be performed by the Westlake Symphony Orchestra at the KBB Music Festival in August 2018.
Call for scores
SOUNZ is calling for scores from New Zealand composers suitable for a secondary school orchestra, made up of the following forces:
• 2-3 flutes (1 doubling piccolo)
• 2 oboes
• 2-3 clarinets (1 doubling bass clarinet)
• 2 bassoons
• 4 horns
• 3-4 trumpets
• 3 trombones
• 1 tuba
• 5 percussionists
The duration of the work should be 2-8 minutes.
There is also the option of submitting a concerto work featuring a piano, viola or violin soloist.
The deadline for submission is 9am Monday 29 January 2018, and the parts for the selected works will be due at 9am Monday 5 March.
Notes and Comments
• See the Westlake Symphony Orchestra Recordings page on SOUNZ Online
• Preference will be given to recently composed works that are within the scope of non-professional orchestral players
• The work may have been performed before
• The work should be between 2-8 minutes duration
• The selection panel will be facilitated by SOUNZ
• The panel’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
• Complete score in PDF format
• Recording, if available, in digital format*
• Completed application form
• Programme note and short biography of up to 200 words each in word document
* recordings and large-file scores should be delivered using an online file sharing service
such as Dropbox.
Deadline: 9am Monday 29 January 2018
Download the application form here.