Walkabout, a place for visions
Commissioned by David Theak (leader of the Sydney-based Jazzgroove Mothership Orchestra), Dave Lisik wholly embraced the opportunity to write a suite for one of Australia’s most vital jazz ensembles.
The icing on the cake was the addition of US jazz giants, Bob Sheppard (saxophone) and Alex Sipiagin (trumpet) as principal soloists.
The ten movements of Walkabout form a unified suite that follows the original storyline yet work well as individual pieces, from the dramatic opening track (which establishes the core themes of the work) through to the complex but coherent closing piece, the rhythmically hypnotic, Ritual Dance. Here, Sheppard’s tenor saxophone interacts with the raging ensemble until he gradually, effectively, disappears.
- Walkabout – A Place for Visions 09:31
- The Children – Tomorrow was also a day 08:32
- Random Fireflies – Their night-lights flicker like sparklets 05:45
- Worumgala, Worum Mwa – Where do you come from? Where are you going? 05:34
- Introduction to Ebony and Moonlight 02:58
- Ebony and Moonlight – Hour after hour he stood there, a shadow carved 04:35
- Walking Alone – The proving of manhood in his tribal timetable 05:41
- The Medicine Man – Those whom The Spirit wants, He takes 06:39
- Introduction to Ritual Dance 01:12
- Ritual Dance – Harness the elements, the fire was made 06:44
+ DIGITAL BOOKLET
Rattle Records/SOUNZ licence: available to download