Films, Audio & Samples
Sample: first page of each movementSee details ➔
Buy or Borrow
To borrow items or hire parts please email SOUNZ directly at email@example.com.
This short Christmas cycle was written in 2012 for the end of year concert by South Auckland Choral Society to be conducted by the composer. The concert included my school choir, St Mary's Schola, and I was keen to write something that the combined forces (including the soloists) in the concert could sing together. Several of the texts are traditional and anonymous, with more recent texts by Sara Teasdale and New Zealand poet and hymn writer Marnie Barrell.
The cycle doesn't try to encapsulate the entire Christmas story, but focuses on those characters on the edge of the story - the angels, the shepherds and the wise men. The final text is a welcome to Christmas, naming a number of other participants in the story of Christmas, to which is added a quote from In dulci jubilo.
1. Angels and Shepherds (SATB choir and organ)
2. The Shepherds' Carol (solo baritone and organ)
3. Who are these who ride by starlight? (SSA and SATB choirs, and organ)
4. Christmas Carol (solo soprano and baritone, SATB choir, and organ)
5. A Child Lay in a Little Crib (solo soprano, SSA choir, and organ)
6. Welcome Yule (tutti)
Texts anonymous, anonymous, by Sara Teasdale and by Marnie Barrell