Films, Audio & Samples
Dave Flynn: Sadb's Lament f...Embedded audio
See details ➔
Mná Brian Boru is a new kind of 'opera' where the vocalists are all traditional Irish 'sean nós' singers and the orchestra contains Irish folk instruments alongside classical instruments, electric guitars and drums.
It tells the story of the great Irish High King Brian Ború from the perspective of the key women in his life. His mother, wives, sister and daughters. The score exclusively features female vocal soloists. Brian Ború's voice is represented by the uilleann pipes.
Musically the piece mixes influences as diverse as Irish traditional music, contemporary classical music, Nigerian Afro-Funk and 1980's Dream pop.
Commissioned by Clare Arts Office under the Per Cent for Arts Scheme
Act I – Young Brian Boru (Brian Óg)
1. The Birth of Brian Boru
2. Song I - Be Binn’s Prophecy
Act II – The High King
1. The Coronation of the King
2. Song II – Gormflaith’s Call (The SCAIRBHÍN)
Act III – The Battle of Clontarf
1. Song III - Salute to Brian of the Tributes
2. The Dalcassians Slaughter the Norsemen At Clontarf
3. Brian Boru’s Battle March
4. The Dalcassian’s Victory March
Act IV – The Death of Brian Boru
1. Brodir Slays Boru
2. Song IV - Sadb’s Lament for the Fallen King